Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Jerusalem Day--Part 2

DAY 9!

It's hard to realize that it has taken me NINE days to really get your computer up and running to where I can type quickly and tell you how I am.  Pathetic.  If you had ever been to Russia, you may be able to understand.  In fact, Russia was good prep for this whole experience; it has played into this more than I would have ever imagined!   In fact, I was able to read half of the stuff at the grocery store because it was in Russian!  Thank you for that favor Lord!

Yesterday, we went to the Israel Museum.  We spent about four hours in the first eight rooms.  My professor is really quite incredible.  He is just the fountain of information--but it's more than that.  He manages to emphasize what really is important and help you sift through it all to come out with your own conclusions on the other end.  He really is like a modern Indiana Jones.  He knows about everyone here.  Additionally, I've met THREE archaeologists in the last four days!  Each of them has invited me to come and dig with them.  One, Mark, is from Ohio State, another, Dr. Chadwick from BYU and of course, those at Hebrew University.  Amazingly, Hebrew University and its faculty have been the ones to come up with much of the really great stuff that has been uncovered here.  In that aspect, there really is nowhere else in the world that would be more rewarding to study at.  The temptation to make an amazing archaeologist of myself is definitely there!  Dr Green out on her latest dig sounds amazing!  But that brings me to my next point.

While Israel offers positive things that no other place in the world offers, it also offers negative things that no other place in the world offers.  RIGHT at the apex of my happy museum visit, we get news that rockets have been launched at Jerusalem and are under alert and spend a few hours in our apartment safe room.  Hearing those sirens and contemplating that was a harrowing thing.  And yet, after kind of working through it all today, I realize that is just kind of how it is here.  The fact that Jerusalem offers so much has an equally positive and negative aspect to it.  Opposition in all things seems to come to mind--and seem even more significant because Father Lehi was also out here I begin to understand, in the smallest part, just what that entails.  

So when you see some glorious picture on FB or Instagram that shows me happy and smiling, know that on the other side of that post is an equally dark picture of being away, far from home and quite frankly,looking a little like a scared kid wanting to go home.  I could use your prayers.  The people here could use your prayers.  This world could use your prayers.  Peace has taken on whole new dimensions for me here.  Sometimes only when we see the stark absence of something do we really begin to appreciate the beautiful space that it so magically and effortlessly filled for us.

Life is good.  There are many good and wonderful things--the Hebrew version of Nutella for instance-- I'm blessed with angels, in the flesh and those I cannot see.  I don't know exactly what the Lord has me here, but I hope to prove a willing student--in spite of the trying tuition to my heart and soul.  

All my heart,
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment